The Blue Train provides luxury train journeys across coastal and inland regions within South Africa and offers passengers a glimpse into a safari sojourn from aeons ago before air travel entered into the mix. The classic and sophisticated Blue Train needs no introduction. Since its inception in 1923, when it was a passenger train taking people from Johannesburg to Cape Town to board ships, it has undergone a number of changes. During this period of time, the Union Express decided to add much-needed luxuries to the carriages, which included a dining saloon and even air-conditioning. And so the journey to creating a luxury train began. Fast forward a few decades, and we now have ourselves a moving five-star hotel with hints of a bygone era still left intact.
This exclusive Blue Train golf safari holiday has 3 classic elements that combine to offer an exclusive experience. Combine the classic African train journey with a quintessential safari in the wild, and throw in a few rounds of golf, and you have yourself an exclusive holiday offering three “vintage” elements with their roots deeply entrenched in history.
There is also the Blue Train safari holiday for non-golfers – same amount fun, minus the golf! This particular holiday is a package with set dates that run 4 times a year, and leading experts in their field have worked together to create the itinerary. The golfing package includes 7 days of golfing bliss (5 rounds) combined with a big five safari in the malaria-free Eastern Cape’s Shamwari Game Reserve.
The non-golfing holiday weaves and winds its way on the same route as the golfing package, but when the golfers hit the green, the non-golfers will enjoy a few pre-arranged activities and tours.
There are only 24 suites aboard the train for this itinerary, and 2018 is already fully-booked. Departure dates are : Feb 07, Mar 22, Oct 11 and Nov 08.
Below are the details of the golfing and non-golfing itinerary:
- 4 x nights accommodation on The Blue Train
- Three meals daily and all alcoholic and/or other beverages while on board
- Suite orientation by Personal Butler, 24-hour full Room Service, Bar Facilities and Portage
- 2 x nights accommodation at 5-Star Shamwari Game Reserve on Full-Board basis
- All safari activities at Shamwari (excluding the spa)
- GOLFERS : 5 x 18 holes golf on Fancourt Montagu, Belmont, Humewood, Pinnacle Point and Pearl Valley. All carts/caddies, halfway house lunch and private coach transfers to golf courses. Daily fun contests with fantastic prizes.
- NON-GOLFERS : Guided tours including Outeniqua Power Van, Jakkalsvlei Wines, Algoa Bay Boat Cruise, Port Elizabeth City Tour, Point of Human Origins, Diaz Rail, De Vette Mossel & Franschhoek Wine Tram. All day tours are in private vehicles and include lunch. All off-train excursions are led by a tour director.
- Personally autographed copy of Christo Brand’s book “Doing Life with Mandela”
- All taxes and service levies
- Meet and greet, and return transfers from Cape Town Airport.
The Blue Train is one of the most luxurious journeys in the world, and covers 1,600 kilometres of landscape. There is a butler service, two lounge cars, an observation carriage, soundproofed compartments with gold-tinted windows and en-suite bathrooms (some have full-sized baths). There are 16 deluxe suites with twin beds, and 5 suites with double beds. There are two suites with twin beds and one suite with a double bed. Book your blue train safari for golfers with Sun Safaris!